Thursday, January 26, 2012

"O Magazine" Syndrome


The only magazines I currently subscribe to are "The Vegetarian Times" and "O- The Oprah Magazine". Both provide monthly information, inspiration, and escape and bring me to my happy place-- which is where I am when reading anything.  Since I've embarked on my life change and third-of-life adventure, however, I've noticed a disturbing effect of "O" on my psyche.  Rather than feel inspired by stories of talented, creative, courageous women who have found their passion, started over, or reinvented themselves, I find myself feeling like... well, a loser. 

When I quit my job and walked away from being "successful", I did so with dreams of discovering my passion.  I would finally live on my own terms, find bliss, infuse each day with meaning!  I was tired of feeling like a slave to the "shoulds" and like I didn't know what I was working so hard for anyway.  I fantasized about starting something of my own and maybe even doing something to make the world better or to leave some sort of a legacy.  It is now eight months later and I still have absolutely no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

In "O", I've read about 1) a woman who fled corporate life to start a very successful llama farm, 2) another who stumbled into making delicious gourmet soda in Hawaii (also very successful), and 3) about another who makes personalized aprons to honor the legacy of her beloved grandmother (again, all went well with the endeavor).  If these women in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and beyond can figure out how to follow their bliss and make a living doing so, shouldn't I be able to do it too?  No pressure, right?!  I want so badly to be the woman who always loved cheese, took a class, discovered a latent cheese-making talent, learned that there was a goat farm in New Zealand that went back ten generations in her family, moved to said farm to make artisan goat's milk curds, and lived happily ever... but I'm not. 

One challenge of the third-of-life crisis is to figure out who I am after avoiding developing an identity because the job/title/social life always provided one for me before.  What do I do to both make a living and to make life about really "living"?  How do I embrace the adventurous spirit of the "O" women of self-reinvention rather than feeling defeated by others' success stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment